Skip to Content

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Bedford County Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental Home

It is essential, as a Bedford County property manager, that your tenants feel safe and secure in their rental home. Reducing vacancies and improving the property’s cash flow can be achieved by ensuring a tenant’s safety. However, if you do not take special precautions, a number of potentially hazardous conditions can arise without your knowledge. Let’s take a look at five of the most common household hazards that, if left unchecked, could cause your tenants’ serious illness or even death. It’s vital to be aware of the typical household hazards and how to avoid them if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.

Toxic Mold

Mold grows where there is moisture and a food source, such as cardboard or paper. Mold often produces a musty odor, which is usually the first sign that most people notice. Molds come in a wide variety, the majority of which are unsightly but not particularly harmful to people. However, black mold, also known as Stachybotrys, can be toxic. Respiratory distress, anaphylactic shock, and allergic reactions are all possible side effects.

The good news is that mold growth can be easily stopped in a rental property. Mold can be prevented from growing on your property by simply running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms, opening the windows, or installing a dehumidifier in the basement. Think about teaching your tenants how to prevent mold and how to recognize its dangers. Regularly looking for mold in your home is another important step. If you discover black mold, you must immediately contact a professional who can eliminate it safely and fix the source of the moisture that led to its growth in the first place.


Asbestos is unquestionably a significant issue, particularly for older rental properties. However, asbestos that is contained within walls or other closed spaces is generally safe as long as it isn’t disturbed. If your rental property’s walls contain asbestos, you must inform your tenant not to drill or otherwise create openings in the walls, even to hammer in a nail. Even small gaps could allow asbestos to enter a home and cause mesothelioma.

Only licensed professionals should perform asbestos removal. You shouldn’t attempt to remove it yourself or let a tenant do it in order to prevent accidents and diseases associated with asbestos.

Lead Poisoning

Older rental properties may also contain lead, which is a potentially dangerous substance. Before it was outlawed in 1978, lead paint was frequently used in older homes. Even if you painted over the old paint, paint can flake off as homes age, exposing your tenants’ children, pets, and you to toxic lead. In some places, lead poisoning can also be caused by old pipes.

Your rental property’s plumbing and water should be thoroughly inspected for lead to prevent lead poisoning. Also, if your home was constructed prior to 1978, you should have your paint tested and removed by trained professionals. Painting over lead paint is a temporary workaround, but the only surefire way to ensure that your tenants are lead-safe is to completely strip the old paint from all impacted surfaces.


In the United States, residential fires are all too frequent. Unfortunately, fires in the home can be fatal. On average, more than 346,000 000 residential fires occur each year, resulting in 2,620 civilian fatalities. Cooking fires are caused by oil and other ingredients, whereas dryer lint is the leading cause of laundry room fires. In addition to faulty appliances and electrical problems, unattended candles are a leading cause of house fires.

There are several steps you should take to prevent fires in your rental property. First, make every effort to ensure that your rental property is free from electrical problems and have the dryer vent cleaned once a year. Second, educate your tenants on fire safety and offer them fire extinguishers, working smoke detectors, and other essentials. The likelihood that your rental property will catch fire can be significantly decreased by taking these easy steps.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is another typical home hazard. Burning wood, propane, gasoline, charcoal, and other fuels release carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space and cause carbon monoxide poisoning if the engines and appliances that use these fuels are not properly ventilated. The symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, blurred vision, nausea, and confusion. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occasionally lead to fatalities or irreversible tissue damage.

Through proper maintenance and tenant education, carbon monoxide poisoning may be avoided. It’s crucial to have your fireplaces and other appliances that utilize any of the aforementioned fuels regularly serviced. In addition, install carbon monoxide detectors all across your rental property to warn you and your tenants of any potential dangers. If your rental property has a garage or your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to make sure they understand they must not leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed area. Fundamental education in safety could protect your tenants from illness and worse.


Ensuring the health and safety of your tenants is big responsibility and can be very time-consuming. Why not let the experts help? At Real Property Management Cairn, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep both your property and your tenants safe. To know more details with regards to the services we offer, call us at 434-215-3028 or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details