If you’re having non-emergency requests like:
A/C or heater stopped working
The appliance is not working as expected
Hot water heater issues
Report Emergency Issue
How do I know if it’s a Maintenance Emergency?
Is water leaking uncontrollably?
Is there a gas leak?
Was there a fire?
Are you locked out of your home?
Maintenance Emergency: A condition that causes injury, threatens your health, or causes serious property damage, such as fire, broken gas line/leak, broken water line or flooding, no heat, or a lockout.
Additional Tenant Resources
Every tenant who signs a lease with RPM Cairn will receive access to an online account. Your secure account is convenient and easy to access and provides useful features and information to maximize your rental experience.
- Pay rent online
- Request repairs and maintenance
- Apply for a new rental property
- Give notice to vacate
- Access documents, forms, and checklists such as your lease and procedures
- Communicate with the Real Property Management Cairn team
Sign up and follow the prompts to access your account for the first time. Use the email address and the rental property address you provided during the leasing process. Your login information will be emailed to you. Contact our office if you need assistance.
The best way to pay your rent is to pay online. Paying rent online saves you the time and hassle of bringing a rent check to the office, assists you in paying on time, and is the most secure, accurate, and efficient payment method.
Simply log in to your tenant account and follow the prompts to make a single payment or set up recurring payments each month to ensure your rent will always be paid on time by the due date!
There are two ways to request maintenance or repairs.
- Log in to your tenant account and submit a maintenance request.
- Call our 24-Hour Maintenance Hotline at 434-509-0036 to request maintenance. If it is an emergency, please call us immediately. (Note: If the situation involves a serious water leak, locate the main water valve in your rental home and turn it to the off or closed position.)
Before Requesting Maintenance
For faster resolution, review the following list of suggestions before calling maintenance. You can also find helpful maintenance tips and advice in your tenant account.
|Smoke detector won’t work when tested||Monthly check and replace battery. Notify maintenance at once if not working.|
|Smoke detector beeps softly on and off||Check and replace battery.|
|No power to plugs or switches||Check breaker panel or fuse box. Check and reset.|
|Garbage disposal won’t work||Push reset button on disposal or use allen wrench and turn.|
|No hot water||Check thermostat on hot water tank. Is pilot light lit? Check breaker panel or fuses valve closed.|
|Hot water “TOO HOT”||Check thermostat on tank and turn down.|
|Faucet or toilet leaks||Turn off water fixture under sink, toilet at valve and notify maintenance.|
|Toilet plugged||Try plunger. If still plugged call maintenance.|
|Sink plugged||Remove hair from drain|
|Heater not working||Check thermostat. Check button or pilot lights. Furnace covers on correctly? Is pilot light lit? Breaker tripped?|
|Dishwasher won’t drain||Clean food out of bottom of dishwasher. Clean float. Rinse dishes before washing. Use jet dry once a month. Jet dry prevents hard water build up.|
|Refrigerator too warm or too cold||Check thermostat, set correctly. Front and back grills clean. Clean out drain hole.|
Thank you for your interest in applying for a home with RPM Cairn. In order to best serve you, we feel it is imperative that you are made aware of and fully understand our application policies and procedures:
- Each adult over the age of 18 years needs to submit an individual application. The Application Fee is $40.00 per adult, and it is non-refundable.
- Before you apply for the home, read the following information carefully concerning the approval process. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us during regular business hours.
Real Property Management Cairn fully complies with the Fair Housing Law. We do not discriminate against persons because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, or age. We also comply with all state and local fair housing laws. Approval is based on four factors:
- Credit History & Verification
- Rental History & Verification
- Income History & Verification
- Criminal Background Check
General Rental Criteria
- Two Years of Good Rental History: No Forcible Entry & Detainers (Evictions). No history of any blatant damage to the residence or an outstanding balance due to a previous landlord.
- Credit History: Credit history must show that the resident has paid bills on time and does not have a history of debt write-offs or accounts that have gone into collection. Residency may be denied due to poor credit history or collections. 600 credit score is the minimum score for approval.
- Verifiable Gross Income: Minimum of three times the rent charged on the residence. Income MUST be Verifiable. This amount is the sum of all approved residents over the age of 18.
- Criminal Background Check: Residency may be denied due to criminal history (see Criminal Background Criteria Section)
- Pet Screening: If you own a pet or a service animal, a pet screening must be completed as well. Read more about RPM Cairn’s pet policies.
Required Supportive Documentation:
- Valid Driver’s License or other Photo ID for each Residential Lease Application
- Verifiable Proof of Income – Min. 2 months of paystubs or 2 years of tax returns if Self Employed.
- Completed Animal Screening Affidavit – All animals, including service animals, are required to be screened. Per applicable law, service animals are not charged a fee for screening.
Please read this document carefully before applying. It is the policy of this management company that applications must be completed, and all fees must be paid prior to submission for consideration. All completed applications are processed daily (Mon-Fri, excluding Holidays). All approved applications for the same property may be submitted for final decision.
What to Know Before Renting With Us
- Funds are due at lease signing and before the move-in
- Full Security Deposit and First Full Month’s Rent
- All applicable admin fees
- Pet rent/fees
- Pro-rated rent, if any, will be applied accordingly
- Rent should be paid online via the Tenants Portal
- Rent is always due on the 1st of the month
- Late fees will be applied at 12:01 am on the 6th of the month
- When funds are collected, late fees and outstanding balances will be paid before any funds are applied to the current rent. The order in which your payment is applied is spelled out in the lease document
- We conduct regularly Scheduled Periodic Property Condition Reports on each Property
- Smoke Alarms will be tested
- Air Filters will be checked
- Access to EACH Room is required, including the garage and HVAC closet.
- Photos of each room will be taken (Walls, Flooring, Light Fixtures, Smoke Alarms, Under Sinks, Air filters, Etc.)
- 24-hour notice will be given before the evaluation
- Resident Liability Insurance
- Real Property Management Cairn requires renters liability insurance.
- Owner’s policies only cover the structure of the home and will NOT COVER YOU or YOUR GUESTS.
- Credit Reporting Program
- Real Property Management Cairn may report late payments and property damage to crediting reporting bureaus.
- Upon Approval
- The applicant(s) will be notified by phone, email, or both. Once your application has been approved, you will have 1 business day to sign the lease electronically and submit your security deposit online to take the property off the market. If the lease is not signed within the allotted time, RPM Cairn reserves the right to process the next application received or consider any other approved applications.
- Property Condition:
- Applicant is strongly encouraged to view the Property prior to signing any lease. Landlord makes no express or implied warranties as to the Property’s cosmetic condition. Should Applicant and Landlord enter a lease, Applicant can request repairs or treatments for non-cosmetic items. If you are unable to view the home, it Is recommended to consider finding a local real estate agent to walk thru the home for you and give you some insights.
Real Property Management Cairn is an Equal Opportunity Housing Company. Our staff members adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and to the Federal Fair Housing Law.
Criminal Background Criteria
- Disqualification From Residency For Life (Convictions ONLY)
- First or Second Degree Murder
- First Through Third Degree Assault
- First Through Fourth Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct
- Harassment and Stalking
- An Attempt to Commit one of the above crimes
- A conviction in another jurisdiction that would be a violation of the above crimes
- Disqualification From Residency For 10 Years After Completion of Sentence (Convictions ONLY)
- Third Degree Murder
- Second Degree Manslaughter
- Criminal Vehicular Homicide or Injury
- Simple or Aggravated Robbery
- Any Felony Drug or Narcotics Convictions
- False Imprisonment
- Carrying a weapon without a permit or any other weapons charge
- Felony Theft
- Felony Forgery
- Felony Burglary
- Terrorist Threats
- Felony Controlled Substance
- An Attempt to commit one of the above crimes
- A Conviction in another jurisdiction that would be a violation of the above crimes
- Disqualification From Residency For 5 Years After Completion of Sentence (Convictions ONLY)
- Non-Felony Violation of Harassment and/or Stalking
- Fourth Degree Assault
- Any Misdemeanor Drug or Narcotics Conviction
- An Attempt to commit one of the above crimes
- A Conviction in another jurisdiction that would be a violation of the above crimes
You have chosen to do business with Real Property Management Cairn and we are obligated to honor the relationship with great care, beginning with the confidential information that may come into our possession during the course of your transaction with us. We believe that your privacy should not be compromised and are committed to maintaining the confidentiality of that information.
You can be assured that we are respecting your privacy and safeguarding your “nonpublic personal information”. Non-public personal information is information about you that we collect in connection with providing a financial product or service to you. Nonpublic personal information does not include information that is available from public sources, such as telephone directories or governmental records.
We collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you on applications or other forms
- Information about your transactions with us
- Information about your transaction with non affiliated third parties
- Information we receive from a consumer-reporting agency
We respect the privacy of our customers, and we will not disclose nonpublic personal information about our customers or former customers to anyone except as permitted by law.
We restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to those employees who need that information to provide products to you.
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your nonpublic personal information.
Real Property Management Cairn has a very basic animal policy. We understand that animals play a significant part in many people’s lives, so we strive to be accommodating. Please make sure to ask if the property that has caught your eye accepts them.
If your pet is approved, a $350 non-refundable deposit and $40/month “pet rent” per animal are the additional fees. Pets are not accepted without the approval of Real Property Management Cairn; please be prepared to provide detailed information, including breed, photo, weight, temperament, etc. Cats are generally not accepted.
ANIMAL SCREENING IS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Service Animals/Emotional Support Animals must be screened as well.
- Fraudulent Claims of a Service Animal may be grounds for denial of your application.
- The maximum number of animals per property shall not exceed 3 of any combination unless otherwise stated.
If you own a pet or a service animal, a pet screening must be completed as well.
We welcome pets in rental homes that allow pets. However, we must ensure tenants are responsible pet owners and respect other residents in the area. Both landlords and tenants should be up-to-date on city ordinances controlling pet ownership and management. The following list of pet ordinances is not exhaustive, but it does cover the main questions pet owners and landlords are likely to have.
- Real Property Management Cairn’s Pet Restrictions
- Each rental home managed by Real Property Management Cairn may have unique restrictions for pets depending upon the type, number, and size of the pet. In addition, city pet ordinances limit the number of pets per pet owner, with exceptions for newborn pet litters. Most rental properties do not allow certain breeds of dogs, including Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chows, and Pitbulls, because property liability insurance policies will not cover injury caused by these breeds. Real Property Management Cairn tenants who have pets are asked to maintain their own liability insurance in regard to their pets.
- General Rules and Regulations
- Most cities and counties have pet ordinances that all Real Property Management Cairn clients must abide by as pet owners. Below are common ordinances; however, check with Animal Control in your local area to make sure you understand and comply with all pet rules and regulations.
- Normally, you must register your dog or cat with the city within a certain timeframe of acquisition, and the license tag must always be attached to your pet. Most pet licenses need to be renewed periodically.
- Most city ordinances require a pet to be kept on a leash at any time the pet is off its owner’s residence, except when in officially designated off-leash city property. Dogs and cats in heat must be kept in a secure enclosure, preventing their exposure to any free-roaming males.
- If your dog bites a person or another animal, city pet ordinances usually require you to notify the police or an animal control officer immediately and not leave the scene until an officer has authorized you to do so. Always assist the victim as needed and give your contact information to the victim.
- City pet ordinances also usually require you to control your dog’s barking at all times, both day and night, and the police have the power to impound your dog if it is barking incessantly and you can’t be reached.
- Whether by law or not, tenants should always clean up after their pets as a courtesy to others and the surrounding property.
As you prepare to move in, here are a few items to help ensure a successful stay. When you sign your lease, we will provide you with the information you need to enjoy and care for your new home and login credentials for your tenant account. Please keep this information handy for easy reference throughout your stay.
Move In Assessment
Within 5 days of moving in, go through your new home thoroughly, then email us a completed Inventory and Condition Form along with photos to visually verify the conditions you describe on the form.
Also note, the completed form stays in the leasing department and does not constitute a maintenance request. If, during your assessment, you find anything that needs maintenance, please submit a maintenance request through your online tenant account. We want you to enjoy your new home and will work with you to ensure the property is well-maintained.
Tenant and Owner Responsibilities
As a resident of a rental home managed by Real Property Management Cairn, we want you to treat the home as if it were your own and be respectful of your neighbors. Taking good care of the property also leads to a faster return of your deposit when you move out.
Your lease outlines your full responsibilities; however, below are some general responsibilities.
- Keep the property clean and orderly, inside and out
- Set up utilities in your name prior to moving in – electricity, water, gas, trash
- Care for landscaping and exterior – lawn, and minor trimming and weeding of shrubs and flowerbeds, sidewalks (e.g., show removal), exterior light bulbs, window cleaning
- Pest control
- Complete minor and seasonal maintenance – changing light bulbs, furnace filters, refrigerator water filters, and batteries in detectors; maintaining water softener and purification systems; keeping vents clean
- Comply with local, state, and Home Owner Association (HOA) property codes, rules, and regulations
Contact our office if you would like a referral for a vendor for the services listed above.
Real Property Management Cairn and/or the owner of the rental home you lease are responsible for:
- Ensuring the rental property is clean, safe, and ready for occupancy
- Re-keying all doors leading to the outside for security
- Complying with state and federal laws pertaining to required detectors in the home
- Providing residents with a copy of applicable HOA rules
You will receive a login for your own online account, where you can pay the rent each month. We encourage you to set up automatic, recurring payments to ensure on-time payment and peace of mind.
We want to ensure every rental property stays in great shape, and we encourage you to request maintenance when appropriate to possibly prevent larger issues or costly repairs. When maintenance or repair is needed, log in to your online account or call our maintenance hotline.
Moving out can be a busy and sometimes stressful time. Real Property Management provides checklists and guides to help make your transition smoother, faster, and more organized.
You must give proper notice prior to vacating the property, as outlined in your lease. Real Property Management will conduct a move-out inspection only after all of your personal property has been removed and the property is fully cleaned. We consider you still living at the property until you return the keys (and garage door remote, if applicable) to our office. You will not be allowed to re-enter the home after all keys have been turned into the office.
To assist us in making refunds to you promptly, we ask that you review the security deposit section of the Residential Lease Agreement that you signed when you moved in. This will clarify the refund procedure and explain any additional charges which you may incur.
The better the condition of the property when you leave, the faster the deposit can be returned to you to the forwarding address you provide. If you vacate the property prior to the end of the lease term, you will still be responsible for paying the rent for the remainder of the lease; however, we will do our best to try and lease the property.
Our goal is to maintain positive relationships with both our property owners and tenants and ensure you are satisfied. If you are pleased with our service, we hope you consider our services again in the future. In addition, we encourage you to email us and offer to post a positive review or provide a testimonial for future marketing use.
Likewise, when you decide to move, buy a home or car, or get a new job, Real Property Management will support you by offering a payment history and providing you a letter of recommendation provided you have paid your rent on time and have taken care of the property.