Skip to Content

Asset Protection & Insurance: Is Your Forest Rental Property Covered?

Filling Out Insurance Paperwork with a Model House in the Forefront

It naturally follows that Forest property owners need good insurance to shield their real estate investments. Meanwhile, there are many different insurance products, each with unique coverages and limits. This can make it extremely difficult to evaluate which insurance you need. Among the options available are landlord or investor insurance, landlord liability insurance, umbrella insurance, and flood insurance, to name a few. Since various sorts of insurance are designed to protect different things, understanding the purpose of each can help you determine how to protect the assets of your rental property with the appropriate type and amount of coverage. 

Landlord Insurance 

Landlord insurance is one of the most essential types of insurance for owners of rental properties. Investment property is protected by landlord or investment property insurance, as opposed to homeowner’s insurance. This insurance usually includes exterior components like sheds or fences in addition to the rental home. Landlord insurance won’t cover your tenant or their personal property, which is why the vast bulk of Forest property managers demand their tenants to purchase renter’s insurance and sometimes tenant liability insurance. 

Landlord Liability Insurance 

Landlord liability insurance is another essential type of coverage you should be aware of. Although it is not the same as investment property insurance, landlord liability insurance is frequently covered by the policy. This is due to the fact that this kind of insurance covers liabilities in the event of an injury as well as losses related to damage, theft, or vandalism committed by tenants or their visitors. Your rental property and the financial aspects of your investment are protected by landlord liability insurance. 

Umbrella Insurance 

An umbrella policy is exactly what it sounds like: broad protection for a rental property that provides an extra layer of security for people who own real estate or work in a legally susceptible industry. Since the fact that being a landlord falls under both of these categories, you should think of buying an umbrella policy to protect your assets in the event that you are sued for damages that surpass the limits of your other insurance policies. In most cases, these policies also cover the insured against damage to third parties property, loss of rent, and injuries brought on by third parties, such as tenants. 

Flood Insurance 

Even an umbrella policy does not normally include flood-related losses to rental property. For numerous reasons, flood insurance is typically sold as a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This kind of insurance typically covers the home’s physical structure as well as any detached garages for their actual cash value (rather than their replacement cost). Though many Forest property owners believe they don’t require flood insurance because their home is not situated in a “high-risk” area, the truth is that floods can and do happen anywhere and frequently occur without warning. Floods usually cause home damage and destruction, whether they are caused by a burst pipe or an exceptionally large amount of rain. 

With so many different kinds of insurance available, it’s crucial to carefully consider your coverage amounts to both make sure you aren’t paying for insurance you don’t need and that the insurance you do have offers the right level of protection. Nevertheless, unless you have dependable industry experts on your team, determining whether you have the appropriate insurance coverage can be difficult. At Real Property Management Cairn, we can advise you on the best insurance coverage to use to safeguard your valuable assets and financial stability. To learn more, contact us online or call us at 434-215-3028.                              

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details